Transparency in Service and Price – Motoring Offences (Summary only)
Our fees for representing you at the Magistrates Court can vary and are dependent upon whether you plead “guilty” or not guilty”, the number of allegations that you face and the overall complexity of your matter. We will look to offer a fixed fee where possible.
Driving offence, guilty plea – fixed fee £350 plus VAT
- 2 hours attendance/preparation:
- considering evidence
- taking your instructions
- providing advice on likely sentence
Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court
The fee does not include:
- instruction of any expert witnesses
- taking statements from any witnesses
- advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons hearing
- advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered or intend to enter a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing.
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice.
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary at an additional cost of £135 plus VAT
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
- We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court for up to half a day.
We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
Driving offence – not guilty plea / exceptional hardship / special reasons argument / application for early return of driving licence fixed fee £750 plus VAT
- Consideration of evidence and attendance upon you to take instructions and provide advice regarding the law, your defence and consideration as to whether a defence expert needs to be instructed.
- Attendance at court for a single hearing before the Magistrates Court
- Advice regarding any subsequent appeal but excluding any appeal proceedings themselves.
Fee does not include
- Any additional court appearances
- Lodging of or conduct of any appeal proceedings
- Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as experts fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. We will inform you as soon as possible if an expert is required in your case and the fees involved.
For those cases where a fixed fee is unsuitable i.e due to the complex nature of the case, involvement of expert witnesses or a complex / novel area of law, they will be undertaken at an hourly rate of £135, whether done by a Solicitor or a Partner. For these types of cases, our average costs are £1200 plus VAT, excluding any expert witness costs.